Thursday, February 25, 2010

Progress!

Well, Suzie's doing better; no more snaps at my daughter, seems calmer, and more bonded with the pack. She kept coming into the bedroom when we were napping, then leaving again, or lying down for a minute and then leaving again, so we made her a nice soft bed (since she loves the couches to sleep on, which we don't want, particularly with my allergy!) at the foot of the bed, and she loves it! She slept there for the first time last night, and slept much better; I don't think she got up at all!

I should note, we were told to keep her in her crate at night, and she seemed more comfortable there at first. But now she seems to want the "pack" more, now that she sees us that way I'd guess!

Eating is still an issue. We're trying to find a food she likes, because she'll refuse to eat all day! For a couple of days I sprinkled a little feta cheese on it, which made her wolf it down, but yesterday that didn't seem to work either. I learned about the feta one afternoon when Nora was having a little dish of it, and threw the rest down, raining it all over, including on Suzie! Well she had a grand ol' time hunting down every little piece of that cheese! One of my "expert advisers" at Planet Pet said she sprinkled parmesan for her rescue dog for the first while, till she got used to her new food.

These two ladies, mother and daughter, have been the greatest support for us in this process; Planet Pet is the storefront for a low cost vet clinic, and they also rescue dogs and cats and re-home them. N and I first went in there when she was very small, just after we'd moved, after her first word was kitty, and D, the mom, and I became fast friends! Sometimes people think she's my mom too, but we tell them, Nope, just good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment